Moon Cycle

You may have heard that women can ovulate with the moon cycles, but is it really true? Some studies have actually been done on this topic, and they have, for the most part, been inconclusive.  I am convinced that it is real though, because it happened to me!


When I was younger I had been on oral contraceptives and stayed up late in artificial light almost every night.  Obviously oral contraceptives alter a woman's natural cycle, but most women don't realize that light does too.

If a women is in sync with the moon, she will ovulate on the full moon, when the sky is brightest at night, and menstruate on the new moon, when the sky is darkest at night.  I don't have any scientific data for this next statement: but I think it could be that men and women living in a primitive state are more likely to get together in the evenings when they can see each other.  I find the adaptation of human beings to our natural environment amazing!

For me, living in the modern world where young people tend to stay up late in artificially lit locations, even when I was not taking contraceptives, my cycle was not regular.  I would sometimes go 6 weeks without a period.  This was probably due to the artificial light.  It confuses our bodies.

I did not have a menstrual cycle from September 2009 to December 2011 (27 months!) while pregnant with and breastfeeding my son. When he turned 18 months, I finally had one again, and I found that I ovulated on the full moon and started menstruating on the new moon. I was shocked and excited!  How cool!

I think that I got onto the moon cycle because my body was a  hormonally natural state.  I had not been on any artificial hormones for over two years.  Pregnancy and breastfeeding had set my body up to be receptive to the moon cycle.

Also, because I had a young baby, I was not staying up late in artificial light.  We don't turn on a lot of lights in our house anyway, because it is full of windows, but in the evening we let the light in the house naturally go dark to encourage Ewan to get tired and prepare for bed.  After he is asleep around 8pm, we turn on only a few lamps and are in bed ourselves between 10pm and 11pm.

I was in sync with the moon for three months, and then I got pregnant again!  I am currently 16 weeks along, due November 29, 2012.  Ewan turns 2 years old in just a few days and is still breastfeeding!  (More to come on that subject.)